Don’t miss out on the opportunity to have a direct impact on the first Global Refugee Forum!
The Danish Refugee Council invites representatives of diaspora and refugee-led organization/network based in Europe that are working for the interest of refugees to participate in a workshop for the Global Refugee Forum on 29 August -1st September 2019 in Berlin.
What is the Global Refugee Forum?
The Global Compact on Refugees is a framework for more predictable and equitable responsibility-sharing, recognizing that a sustainable solution to refugee situations cannot be achieved without international cooperation.
Its four key objectives are to
a) ease pressures on host countries;
b) enhance refugee self-reliance;
c) expand access to third-country solutions
d) support conditions in countries of origin for return in safety and dignity.
The first Global Refugee Forum, which will take place on 17 and 18 December 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland, is a unique occasion for UN Member States and other stakeholders to:
• Deliver concrete pledges and contributions that will advance the objectives of the Global Compact and achieve tangible benefits for refugees and host communities.
• Highlight key achievements and exchange good practices, both with respect to specific country or regional situations, as well as on a global level.
The Global Refugee Forum (GRF) will focus on: arrangements for burden and responsibility-sharing, education, jobs and livelihoods, energy and infrastructure, solutions, and protection capacity.
The Danish Refugee Council is organizing preparatory workshops for representatives of diaspora and refugee-led organizations at regional (Europe, East Africa, MENA) and global level from July until December 2019 to achieve meaningful participation of refugee-led and diaspora organisations at the 2019 Global Refugee Forum.
Why should diasporas and refugees participate?
• The Global Compact on Refugees makes a direct reference to the participation of refugees as part of a multi-stakeholder approach and explicitly mentions diasporas as a stakeholder group.
• The objective of the preparatory workshops is to facilitate coordination, discussions, contributions of diaspora and refugee-led organizations in order to strengthen diaspora and refugee voices at the Global Refugee Forum 2019.
Who can participate in the workshops?
Individuals representing diaspora or refugee-led organization(s)/network(s) responding to the situation of refugees at policy or operational level in their country of origin, neighbouring countries or country of residence
What will be your role and responsibilities?
• As representative of a diaspora or refugee network you will consult and prepare with your constituency (organization, network, community) your collective contributions to the workshops.
• You will ensure that you represent the voices and ideas of your constituency, and seek meaningful partnerships with other stakeholders for joint pledges and contributions to the Global Refugee Forum.
• You will report back to your constituency and share the contributions submitted to the GRF.
• You will be engaged actively in the whole process from June until December 2019.
Where and when will be the workshops?
• If you are based in Europe the workshop (1,5 day) will be on 31 August -1st September 2019 in Berlin, Germany
• The global online workshop to consolidate the overall contributions will be in November 2019
• Accommodation and travel costs will be covered, and lunch and refreshments will be provided during the workshops for the participants.
• The official language of the workshops will be English.
Required skills / selection criteria
Participants will be selected based on the applications of the participants using the criteria provided below:
• Being a representative of diaspora or refugee-led organisation(s)/network(s) responding to the situation of refugees at policy or operational level in their country of origin, neighbouring countries or country of residence
• Having knowledge of the GCR or an interest or experience in global advocacy processes
• Being willing and able to engage actively in the whole process from June until December 2019.
• Age, gender and diversity considerations will be given due regard for the composition of the groups
How to submit your Expression of Interest?
Please send your Expression of Interest to attend the workshop in Berlin on 31 August - 1st September 2019 here: Online questionnaire
A webinar was held on 2nd July 2019 to present the Global Refugee Forum, the purpose of the preparatory workshops for Diaspora and Refugee led organisations, the role and responsibilities of the selected representatives, and the selection procedure of representatives. If you have missed the Webinar you can find all the documents below: